22nd of February 2013: L’atelier 1
These “l’ateliers” are 5 hour long workshops designed to train us towards our final exam. We only have 3 of these l’ateliers and today being our first one everyone was just getting a feel of it. I can’t say I had a great time but it definitely was an interesting experience pulling sugar and putting the whole piece together.
Here’s my vision. Now lets see if I can make it happen…
Our first l’atelier. That green stuff is green (un)pulled sugar in liquid form.
Green (un)pulled sugar and red pulled sugar – notice how the red sugar is much shinier than the green one. Both sitting under the heat lamp.
Red & green pulled sugar. Both have lost their sheen from sitting under the heat lamp. To gain back their shine: pull, stretch, fold back onto itself and repeat.
My classmates in action
Cut and pressed sugar leaves
Bits and pieces
Sugar leaves, flower and stringy bits
My first attempt at pulling a ribbon. The chefs made it look SOOooooo easy in the demonstration.
My final product. I wasn’t happy with it (especially when I looked back to all those Salon du Chocolat photos).. so.. back to the drawing board to try and create something better in l’atelier #2
My unwanted blister after class
I wasn’t happy with my final piece so when I got home I spent the evening searching.. and searching. All of a sudden I had an explosion of ideas and my imagination was like wild fire! The majority of my classmates chose to make roses like what Chef D had shown us but the Leo in me naturally wanted to make something different. So when I came across this flower, I popped my blister, wrapped it up and started pulling petals (the petals are green because I took home the left over sugar from this evening’s class for practice). It didn’t get very much further than this because I struggled to stick the petals on my attempted blown sugar without it breaking.
Not happy with my flower, I spent hours on the internet looking through flowers of all kinds – real, sugar, abstract.. everything and then I came across this on Youtube. Then I decided on this one…
First attempt at blowing sugar – credit to education from Youtube
Motivated by my disappointing sugar sculpture, I wrapped up my blistered thumb and starting pulling petals. Here’s my first attempt of the abstract flower after the l’atelier. I didn’t get very far after this because I had so much trouble sticking on the petals without them breaking…
Before I wrap up this post, I want to say a huge thank you to Talita, for passing on your heat lamp, rubber pump, alcohol burner and all other pâtisserie equipment. It made practice at home so much easier! Merci beaucoup!!
Stay tuned for more of my sugar adventure….